What is Decopatch?
Remember Papier-Mâché? The repetitive school-project task of gluing layers of old newspaper to create a 3D shape?
Decopatch takes Papier-Mâché to a new, creative level… we supply a range of bright and colourful Decopatch papers that will bring life into any object.
Instead of creating your own model painstakingly by hand and using lots of layers, we supply pre-made models in a huge variety of shapes ranging from wild animals to magical unicorns! However, the range of things to decorate doesn’t stop there, we also sell items such as sturdy Papier-Mâché boxes, wooden decorations and MDF letters.
But Decopatch isn’t limited to small objects like these: why not upcycle some old furniture or ornament and bring life again to it using decopatch.
Decopatch works on a variety of surfaces, and can be combined with other materials such as magazine pages, comic strips or even old newspapers (for a nostalgic feel). You can use the same technique throughout to create personal designs.
Whether you’re 3 or 103, Decopatch is a fun and creative way to start crafting. With our extensive range of models there is plenty of choice of objects just waiting to be transformed…
What Else Do I Need?
Decopatch papers are a very simple but effective way of decorating items with any kind of surface (flat or uneven). They can be used on almost all surfaces such as ceramics, wood, earthenware, terracotta, glassware, paper, metal, candles, soap and more.
The finished result is a brightly coloured item with a strong surface, smooth texture and a wonderful paint effect.
What’s So Special About Decopatch Paper?
Unlike ordinary paper, Decopatch paper is very thin but also strong, even when wet with glue. This makes it easy to position the paper without it tearing or disintegrating. You can also trim it with scissors when it is still wet with glue. (But ripping it with your fingers works just as well!)
Our Decopatch papers come in an ever expanding array of colours. The colours don’t fade, smear or bleed.
We update our range of papers frequently so remember to check in often!
Mod Podge Glue
Mod Podge is a well known decoupage medium — an all-in-one glue, sealer and finish used to attach paper and fabric to various surfaces.
Mod Podge Classic (the orange label) is our biggest seller and the most versatile. (It’s also the one we use in our workshops)
This is your all-around Mod Podge and you can use it for all types of projects and on most surfaces.
However, if you’re wanting to try something a little more complex, then we have a selection of different finishes and textures available too.
It Doesn’t Have to Be Messy…
Decopatch works well when you use your fingers to gently smooth papers on to your model. Although sometimes it can be very sticky and fiddly!
To help you out, we also sell small brushes with short, stubby bristles, designed specifically for decopatch.
If you want to add an extra coat afterwards for a special finish, a decopatch brush will come in handy!
How to Decopatch…
1. Select your paper and cut or tear it into small postage stamp size pieces. Plan ahead for how much you’ll need and the different patterns you might use. You can always tear up more paper later but it’s a lot harder with gluey fingers!
2. Apply Mod Podge to a small area of the model. Make sure you choose the correct finish and surface. (Scroll up to learn more)
Top Tip: Apply a small amount of glue each time as it dries quickly (don’t be tempted to cover the whole model in one go).
3. Use the gluey brush to pick up a piece of paper and brush onto the glue you applied, smoothing out the edges (Or just use your fingers!). The glue will dry with a beautiful shine.
4. Continue the process until the whole model is covered. Take care to ensure that each piece of paper is firmly stuck down.
5. When your model is dry, apply another coat of Mod Podge to add extra shine.
Top Tip: Use your fingers to shape the paper around feet, ears and other pointed areas.
Watch our Speed Demos on Youtube!
6. Take a photo and share on social Media with the hashtag #TCRWDecopatch